Live-In Carer FAQ’s

Frequently Asked Questions

Do I have to be self employed to work for Cheriton Homecare?

Yes. Care assistants that are registered as self employed are able to register with other agencies and accept work from private clients without complicated tax implications.

How much will I get paid?

Assignment information will detail the care needs off the client and the training required. This will determine the rate of payment. Care assistants can expect to earn between £650 and £850 per week depending on their training.

How will I be paid?

Care assistants must invoice Cheriton Homecare in accordance with company policy. Payment is made by Cheriton Homecare Limited into UK bank accounts only.

When will I be paid?

Care assistants must submit a weekly invoice. Payment is made the Monday following your submission of complete and accurate records to Cheriton Homecare administration staff.

Where are your clients based?

Our clients are based in London, Surrey and Sussex.

Do I need to be able to drive?

Not necessarily, but it can be an advantage as we do have clients in rural locations which would benefit from having a driver. Your drivers license must of course be valid for use in the United Kingdom.

Do I need to own a car?

It is not necessary to own a car in order to work with our clients. Where drivers are required vehicles will be supplied.

Will I see a client profile before I accept an assignment?

If you are registered with Cheriton Homecare a client profile will be available to you if we feel you would be suitable for an assignment with that particular client. You will be able to choose if you would like to accept the assignment or not.

How much experience do I need?

We would prefer that care assistants working with Cheriton homecare have 12 months experience working within the live-in care sector, but this is not essential. However for some of our clients with more complex care needs, experience is required.

Will I have to pay for training?

When working with Cheriton Homecare clients, care assistants registered with us, are provided with client specific training free of charge.

Do I need a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) Certificate?

Yes. If you have a digital update service (online DBS) you will need the original certificate with the matching number in order for us to verify your certificate..

An existing DBS certificate without the associated digital update are non transferrable between companies and you will therefore need to apply for a new one.

Do I need to pay for my DBS?

Yes, if you require a new one.

No, if you can supply the original alongside the digital update.

Where will my interview take place?

An initial interview will take place on the telephone. A second interview will take place at our offices in Brighton where all legal documentation will be processed if you are successful in your application.

Will I live with the client?

Yes, you will be entitled to live at the residence of your client for the duration of your assignment. You will be provided with a private room. You may not entertain friends or family under any circumstances and no other person is permitted to live with you in your place of work.

You will not be entitled to leave or store any personal possessions in your place of work.

Who do I call in an emergency?

We operate a 24/7 emergency on call service which will give you direct access to senior management should it be required. In the case of a medical emergency always dial 999 first.

Who do I contact if I need support?

Cheriton Homecare admin staff are always at the end of the line.

When can I go on holiday?

As a self employed care assistant you may change your availability as and when you choose. All we ask is that you are reasonable with the administration staff and grant them sufficient time to find replacements for you if you are on assignment and likewise if you are expecting them to find you a placement.

CQC logo

Cheriton Homecare Limited

CQC overall rating
Good x

SafeGood x

EffectiveGood x

CaringGood x

ResponsiveGood x

Well-led Good x

Great Homecare
Cheriton provided live in care for my father. Everything went perfectly.
Provide outstanding live in care
Cheriton Homecare are a very reliable live in care agency. Definitely a company you can trust.

Discover your needed level of care.

Cheriton Homecare Services

Whatever your requirements, we’re here to help.

We’re here for you. Call us at 01273 273 277 or explore our services.

Have a question?